BUA Cement Plc. has revealed plans to reduce the price of cement in Nigeria from the current N5,500 to between N3,000 and N3,500.
The company’s Chairman, Abdul Samad Rabiu, disclosed this to Journalists after an audience with President Bola Tinubu at the State House, Abuja.
Rabiu said the price crash is part of his company’s contribution to supporting the efforts of the Federal Government to stabilise the prices of essential commodities.
However, this would only follow the opening of two new plants of 3 million tons operating capacity each to be commissioned at the end of the year.
Rabiu said “Let me thank his excellency Mr. President for graciously receiving me today, I came to intimate his excellency on the affairs of our cement business.
“We have two new lines of 3 million tons each that we will be commissioning by the end of the year.
“So I explained to him that we want to support the efforts of the government in bringing down the cost of cement, by the time these lines are commissioned BUA Cement will be producing about 17 million tons per annum and with that, we intend to bring down the cost of cement from its current level of N5,000 or N5,500 per bag to maybe N3,000 to N3,500 per bag.”
He said the company could only do this because it is producing cement locally.
“Eighty per cent of the raw materials that we are using to produce cement in Nigeria are mainly limestone and gypsum and of course, energy is part of it. Of course, we have gas in Nigeria.
“So we want to support the government, we want to support their efforts in ensuring that the prices of these commodities are brought down incidentally.’’
He revealed that the two new plants to be inaugurated by Tinubu later in 2023 would increase production capacity to 17 million metric tons.
The post Video: BUA Chief Meets Tinubu, Plans To Crash Cement Price From N5,500 To N3,500 appeared first on Jomog.
EID-UL-MAWLID: FG DECLARES WEDNESDAY PUBLIC HOLIDAY
Ondo Assembly Finally Serves Deputy Gov Impeachment Notice
The Ondo State House of Assembly has finally served the embattled deputy governor of the state, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, a with his impeachment notice.
The deputy governor received the notice on Monday, through the spokesperson of the House of Assembly, Olatunji Oshati.
Mr Oshati had claimed last week on a national TV programme that Mr Aiyedatiwa had been served with the impeachment notice.
The notice, PREMIUM TIMES learnt, was signed by 11 out of the 26 lawmakers that make up the assembly.
The ruling party in the state, the All Progressives Congress(APC), has majority seats in the House with 22 seats while the PDP has four seats.
According to the notice signed by the Speaker, Oladiji Adesanmi, the allegations against the deputy governor are gross misconduct and abuse of office with actions likely to bring down the Ondo State government.
Other allegations are financial recklessness and publications in print media by the media aides of the deputy governor maligning the credibility of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.
The House said relying on the provision of Section 188(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended), the deputy governor should be served a copy of the notice for him to respond to the allegations contained therein.
Meanwhile, the deputy governor, on Monday, sued the House of Assembly on the planned impeachment against him.
Mr Aiyedatiwa, in the suit filed by his lawyer, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, (SAN) in the High Court of Akure, specifically sought some orders essentially to restrain the House from impeaching him.
The deputy governor is seeking a declaration from the court that the State House of Assembly lacks the competence to proceed with his impeachment, arguing that such proceedings violate his constitutional and fundamental rights to a fair hearing.
The deputy governor said the removal of his media aides and their placement under the Ministry of Information and Orientation led by a Commissioner by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu is a breach of his rights and privileges as the Deputy Governor.
Besides, the deputy governor is also seeking a declaration affirming that his office, tenure, status, rights, and privileges are safeguarded by the Constitution.
Additionally, he is insisting on his entitlement to a fair hearing in the House of Assembly’s determination of his civil rights and obligations as the deputy governor of Ondo State.
In the suit, Mr Aiyedatiwa also raised concerns about potential bias against him in the impeachment process, citing the House of Assembly’s previous statements and actions, including conducting media trials without providing him prior notice of alleged misconduct.
Mr Aiyedatiwa is also seeking an order to stop the Chief Judge of Ondo State from accepting or acting upon any request from the Ondo State House of Assembly to set up any panel to investigate any acts of gross misconduct against him.
Essentially, Mr Aiyedatiwa is requesting the court to intervene by halting the impeachment proceedings until his claims are examined and adjudicated upon, ensuring that his rights and protections under the law are upheld throughout this legal process.
Named as defendants in the suit alongside the Ondo State House of Assembly are the Ondo State government, the Governor of Ondo State, Ondo State House of Assembly, Speaker of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Clerk of the Ondo State House of Assembly and the Chief Judge of the state.
The post Ondo Assembly Finally Serves Deputy Gov Impeachment Notice appeared first on Jomog.
Tribunal Dismisses Rhodes-Vivour’s Petition, Affirms Sanwo-Olu’s Victory
The Lagos State Governorship Election Tribunal has affirmed the re-election of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, and dismissed the petition of the Governorship Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olajide Adediran, popularly known as Jandor, who challenged the return of Sanwo-Olu and his Deputy, Obafemi Hamzat.
Justice Mikhail Abdullahi held that Sanwo-Olu and his deputy, Dr Hamzat, were qualified to contest the March 18, 2023, governorship election in the state under section 177 of the Constitution.
The judge noted that they are members of political parties and educated up to school certificate level.
Section 177 of the constitution stipulated that “A person shall be qualified for election to the office of Governor of a State if
(a) he is a citizen of Nigeria by birth;
(b) he has attained the age of thirty-five years;
(c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party; and
(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.”
“We have considered the evidence before this court. He has the highest number of votes. This petition is dead on arrival.”
“Given the evidence adduced before the court, the grounds on which the petitioner is seeking disqualification of 2nd and 3rd respondents lack merit.
“I have found Gov Sanwo-Olu and deputy, Dr Hamzat duly elected and therefore declared them winner.”
However, justice Arum Ashom and Justice Igho Braimoh aligned with the judgment
Earlier, the Tribunal had struck out the application of Jandor, who was seeking a disqualification of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s candidature.
Jandor had argued in his motion, alongside his formal petition in which he challenged the return of Sanwo-Olu and his running mate, Obafemi Hamzat in the March 18, 2023 governorship elections in Lagos State.
The petitioner had contended that Mr Sanwo-Olu was not qualified to be elected, and therefore wrongfully nominated and sponsored by his party, the All Progressives Party.
He had replied to section 134(1)(a) of the Electoral Act of 2022 which deals with grounds for instituting an electoral petition.
But, Justice Abdullahi, while reading the Tribunal’s decision on the matter, held that this position didn’t form part of the grounds for disqualification for election into the office of Governor, under sections 177 and 182 of the Nigerian Constitution (as amended).
The tribunal also declared that it has no powers to inquire into the primary election of the APC which produced Sanwo-Olu, saying it is a pre-election matter which doesn’t fall under its jurisdiction.
“Only an aspirant or member of a political party can complain about the outcome of the party’s primary, not a busybody like the petitioner.”
This ruling forms part of the judgment being delivered in Jandor’s petition.
The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Arum Ashom, earlier on Monday, announced that judgment over the petition of the governorship candidate of the Labour Party, Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour will be delivered afterwards.
The third judge on the panel is Justice Igho Braimoh.
The tribunal also struck out the names of the Labour Party and its candidate among the list of respondents, saying a petition is contemplated to be filed between the winner and the loser of an election and not between two persons who lost.
The tribunal also expunged from its records all exhibits tendered in evidence by Rhodes-Vivour and the LP in Jandor’s petition, adding that they cannot subsequently go on to challenge any part of the judgment in Jandor’s petition or else will become a meddlesome interloper.
The Independent National Electoral Commission had declared Sanwo-Olu of the All Progressives Congress winner of the governorship election.
He polled 762,134 votes to beat Mr Rhodes-Vivour, who scored 312,329 votes. Jide Adediran came a distant third, polling 62,449 votes.
The post Tribunal Dismisses Rhodes-Vivour’s Petition, Affirms Sanwo-Olu’s Victory appeared first on Jomog.
News4 months ago
Full Text of President Bola Tinubu’s Inauguration Speech on May 29, 2023
Headlines2 months ago
Full Text Of President Bola Tinubu’s Address To Nigerians On Socio-economic Challenges
Headlines9 months ago
Pakistan Govt Jobs Today – Punjab Information Technology Board PITB Jobs 2022
Headlines4 months ago
Nigerians Berate Tinubu’s Subsidy Removal, Says Dangote Won’t Subsidise Petrol For Nigeria
Education12 months ago
FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC OKO RELEASES COMPUTER BASED TEST (CBT) EXAMINATION TIMETABLE FOR THE 2021/2022 ACADEMIC SESSION
CELEBRITY NEWS3 months ago
Hilda Baci: 6 Benefits the Nigerian Chef May Enjoy as Guinness World Record Holder
Headlines4 months ago
Apapa labels Peter Obi a liar after court scuffle with LP supporters
Headlines3 months ago
IPOB Dismisses Rumour Of Week-Long Sit-At-Home In South East