A Sienna space bus with registration number APP 830 HX heading to Lagos from Benin on Saturday morning at about 11:55am plunged into Omo River at J4 along the Ijebu-Ode-Ore Expressway killing three people while local divers were able to rescue one passenger.
The spokesperson for Ogun State Sector Command of the Federal Roads Safety Corps, Florence Okpe, disclosed this in a statement issued to journalists on Saturday.
She said, “Operatives of FRSC Ogbere Outpost have mobilised to the mentioned location where an eyewitness said a Toyota Sienna plunged into the Omo Bridge river
“Concerted efforts of MTD Ogbere Division, Mobile Police from J4 and FRSC Ogbere Outpost could not establish any skid mark nor trace where the vehicle plunged into the Omo River. A local diver was sourced from J4 Town and one male adult was rescued and taken to Hope Clinic J4 where he’s responding to treatment. Rescue operation still ongoing”, the statement concluded.
Giving an update on the incident on Saturday evening, Okpe said more local divers had been recruited from neighbouring communities to help with the rescue operations
She said, “The Corridor Commander 6, Deputy Corps Commander Nasir Z Mohammed, arrived at the crash scene while two divers were sent by The Unit Commander, Ijebu Ode Unit Command, in continuation of rescue/recovery from the Omo River, and additional divers were sourced from Itele. Divers proceeded in deep search for rescue/recovery operations while a private towing truck is on standby”.
Okpe later added that the Toyota Sienna with registration number APP 830 HX heading to Lagos from Benin before the unfortunate accident had been retrieved from the river while three bodies were also recovered by the local divers.
She told our correspondent that probably due to the fact that the river was full to its bank, the divers could not locate any more bodies and that there could be more recovery later, though it was still not certain the number of occupants of the vehicle.
She said, “The crash occurred at about 1155hrs this morning on Ijebu-Ode-Ore Expressway. Number of people involved uncertain, Number injured, 01, and 03 persons were found dead all male adults. 01 vehicle was involved with registration number APP830HX a Toyota Sienna bus
“The suspected cause of the lone crash was excessive speed which led to loss of control and the vehicle plunged into Omo River. The injured victim was taken to Hope Clinic J4 for medical attention while the corpses were deposited at the state General Hospital morgue Ijebu-Ode
“The Sector Commander FRSC Ogun Sector Command CC Anthony Uga described the crash as an avoidable one if caution was considered, he further reiterated on speed violation among motorists especially the commercial vehicle on that route following the RTC data.
“The Sector Commander appreciated the effort of the local divers for the rescue operation and also sympathise with the family of the victims and advised to contact FRSC Ogbere outpost for more information about the crash”, the statement said.
The post Three Bodies Recovered, One Rescued As Sienna Bus Plunges Into Ogun River appeared first on Jomog.
EID-UL-MAWLID: FG DECLARES WEDNESDAY PUBLIC HOLIDAY
Tribunal Dismisses Rhodes-Vivour’s Petition, Affirms Sanwo-Olu’s Victory
The Lagos State Governorship Election Tribunal has affirmed the re-election of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, and dismissed the petition of the Governorship Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olajide Adediran, popularly known as Jandor, who challenged the return of Sanwo-Olu and his Deputy, Obafemi Hamzat.
Justice Mikhail Abdullahi held that Sanwo-Olu and his deputy, Dr Hamzat, were qualified to contest the March 18, 2023, governorship election in the state under section 177 of the Constitution.
The judge noted that they are members of political parties and educated up to school certificate level.
Section 177 of the constitution stipulated that “A person shall be qualified for election to the office of Governor of a State if
(a) he is a citizen of Nigeria by birth;
(b) he has attained the age of thirty-five years;
(c) he is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party; and
(d) he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.”
“We have considered the evidence before this court. He has the highest number of votes. This petition is dead on arrival.”
“Given the evidence adduced before the court, the grounds on which the petitioner is seeking disqualification of 2nd and 3rd respondents lack merit.
“I have found Gov Sanwo-Olu and deputy, Dr Hamzat duly elected and therefore declared them winner.”
However, justice Arum Ashom and Justice Igho Braimoh aligned with the judgment
Earlier, the Tribunal had struck out the application of Jandor, who was seeking a disqualification of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s candidature.
Jandor had argued in his motion, alongside his formal petition in which he challenged the return of Sanwo-Olu and his running mate, Obafemi Hamzat in the March 18, 2023 governorship elections in Lagos State.
The petitioner had contended that Mr Sanwo-Olu was not qualified to be elected, and therefore wrongfully nominated and sponsored by his party, the All Progressives Party.
He had replied to section 134(1)(a) of the Electoral Act of 2022 which deals with grounds for instituting an electoral petition.
But, Justice Abdullahi, while reading the Tribunal’s decision on the matter, held that this position didn’t form part of the grounds for disqualification for election into the office of Governor, under sections 177 and 182 of the Nigerian Constitution (as amended).
The tribunal also declared that it has no powers to inquire into the primary election of the APC which produced Sanwo-Olu, saying it is a pre-election matter which doesn’t fall under its jurisdiction.
“Only an aspirant or member of a political party can complain about the outcome of the party’s primary, not a busybody like the petitioner.”
This ruling forms part of the judgment being delivered in Jandor’s petition.
The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Arum Ashom, earlier on Monday, announced that judgment over the petition of the governorship candidate of the Labour Party, Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour will be delivered afterwards.
The third judge on the panel is Justice Igho Braimoh.
The tribunal also struck out the names of the Labour Party and its candidate among the list of respondents, saying a petition is contemplated to be filed between the winner and the loser of an election and not between two persons who lost.
The tribunal also expunged from its records all exhibits tendered in evidence by Rhodes-Vivour and the LP in Jandor’s petition, adding that they cannot subsequently go on to challenge any part of the judgment in Jandor’s petition or else will become a meddlesome interloper.
The Independent National Electoral Commission had declared Sanwo-Olu of the All Progressives Congress winner of the governorship election.
He polled 762,134 votes to beat Mr Rhodes-Vivour, who scored 312,329 votes. Jide Adediran came a distant third, polling 62,449 votes.
The post Tribunal Dismisses Rhodes-Vivour’s Petition, Affirms Sanwo-Olu’s Victory appeared first on Jomog.
DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, OGWASHIUKU RELEASES HND FIRST BATCH ADMISSION LIST FOR THE 2023/2024 ACADEMIC SESSION
The list of admitted candidates has been released and made available on the school notice board. Candidates can check their names on the school’s notice board.
News4 months ago
Full Text of President Bola Tinubu’s Inauguration Speech on May 29, 2023
Headlines2 months ago
Full Text Of President Bola Tinubu’s Address To Nigerians On Socio-economic Challenges
Headlines9 months ago
Pakistan Govt Jobs Today – Punjab Information Technology Board PITB Jobs 2022
Headlines4 months ago
Nigerians Berate Tinubu’s Subsidy Removal, Says Dangote Won’t Subsidise Petrol For Nigeria
Education12 months ago
FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC OKO RELEASES COMPUTER BASED TEST (CBT) EXAMINATION TIMETABLE FOR THE 2021/2022 ACADEMIC SESSION
CELEBRITY NEWS3 months ago
Hilda Baci: 6 Benefits the Nigerian Chef May Enjoy as Guinness World Record Holder
Headlines4 months ago
Apapa labels Peter Obi a liar after court scuffle with LP supporters
Headlines3 months ago
IPOB Dismisses Rumour Of Week-Long Sit-At-Home In South East