The Senate on Wednesday resolved to investigate allegations of admission racketeering in universities across the country.
The resolution of the Red Chamber was a result of a motion titled “Urgent Need to Curtail the Practice of Undisclosed Admissions and Other Unwholesome Practices by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB),” sponsored by Senator Onyeka Nwebonyi, representing Ebonyi North.
Presenting his motion, Senator Nwebonyi alleged that unscrupulous university staff, in connivance with JAMB officials, are involved in trading admission in Nigerian universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, and other tertiary institutions.
He further alleged that authorities of tertiary institutions are embroiled in the unwholesome practice of hawking admission into courses such as Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacy, Law, Engineering, and Nursing Science, with the aim of shortchanging some students who have already been offered admission in exchange for gratification.
He stated, “The travails of Miss Chinyere Ekwe and 290 others, who were admitted to study Medicine and Surgery at the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) but had their admissions truncated on the order of JAMB for no plausible reason, after they had completed the admission processes and resumed lectures.
“Miss Ekwe, in particular, scored 291 in the 2019 UTME and 300 in the university’s post UTME, which qualified her for the course and the university subsequently admitted her.
“The said Chinyere Ekwe was transferred to the Department of Medical Laboratory Science because if her cumulative grade point is up to 4.5 points after the first year, she would be transferred back to Medicine and Surgery.
“However, despite surpassing the 4.5 threshold, her admission status is still not certain as to whether she is duly admitted in the Department of Medicine and Surgery or Medical Laboratory Science.
“The provisional admission practice is being used as a malicious tool to exploit and frustrate intelligent young Nigerians who are children and wards of ordinary people seeking admission into Nigerian universities.”
He expressed concern that the nefarious activities of JAMB and university staff could discourage brilliant students whose parents are not wealthy Nigerians.
In his closing remarks, President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio called for caution and emphasized that the accused parties should be given a fair hearing.
He said, “We are shaving the head of a man behind his back. The University of Nigeria has a reputation that spans decades and is respected internationally. JAMB also has its own reputation.
“So discussing and particularizing it could tend to give the international community the impression that something is questionable about the certificate from the University of Nigeria, which we all respect. It has given birth to so many universities, including the one I went to, which is the University of Calabar.
“Let the other side be heard, so that we can do a holistic job and even invite the Minister of Education to find out whether this kind of practice is occurring in tertiary institutions. So let us do a holistic job. I think it is important we correct any wrong that we see.”
The Red Chamber mandated its Committees on Tertiary Institutions and TETFUND as well as Ethics, Privileges, and Public Petitions to probe the allegations of admission fraud.
OLUSEGUN AGAGU UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, OKITIPUPA DISCLAIMER NOTICE ON FAKE POST REGARDING NURSING PROGRAMME
The Management hereby informs admission seekers, their parents, guardians and the general public, that the information should be disregarded for it is fake, it does not emanate from the University neither does it emanate from the Office of the Registrar.
EMMANUEL ALAYANDE UNIVERSITY OF EDUCATION GETS NUC APPROVAL FOR 50 FULL-TIME COURSES, 2023/2024
The letter reads, “The Vice-Chancellor is please invited to recall that a resource verification visit was carried out by panels of experts to the proposed academic programme in Emmanuel Alayande University of Education Oyo State with a view to assessing the human and material resources available for its establishment.
I am directed to inform the Vice-Chancellor that the Ag. Executive Secretary has considered and approved the establishment of the full-time mode of the following undergraduate programmes, to be run in the Main Campus of the University with effect from 2023/2024 academic session:
1. B.Sc. (Ed) Biology Education
2. B.Sc. Biology
3. B.Sc. (Ed) Integrated Science
4. B.Sc. (Ed) Chemistry Education
5. B.Sc. Chemistry
6. B.Sc. (Ed) Mathematics Education
7. B.Sc. (Ed) Computer Science Education
8. B.Sc. Computer Science
9. B.Sc. (Ed)Physics Education
10. B.Sc. (Ed) Health Education
11. B.Sc. (Ed) Human Kinetics/Physical Education
12. B.Sc. (Ed) Economics Education
13. B.Sc. Economics
14. B.Sc. (Ed) Environmental Education
15. B.Sc. (Ed) Geography Education
16. B.Sc. (Ed) Educational Management
17. B.Ed. Educational Technology
18. B.Tech (Ed) Building Technology Education
19. B. Tech (Ed) Metal Work Technology Education
20. B.Tech (Ed) Automobile Technology Education
21. B.Tech (Ed) Woodwork Technology Education
22. B.Tech (Ed) Electrical/Electronics Education
23. B.A. Ed. History and International Studies
24. B.A. (Ed) English/Literature in English
25. B.A. English Language and Literary Studies
26. B.LIS. Library and Information Science
27. B.A. (Ed) French
28. B.A. (Ed)Yoruba
29. B.A. (Ed) Hausa
30. B.Sc. (Ed) Political Science Education
31. B.Sc. Political Science
32. B.Sc. (Ed) Social Work
33. B.Sc. (Ed) Social Studies and Civic Education
34. B.Sc. (Ed) Special Education
35. B.Ed. Guidance and Counselling
36. B.Ed. Adult and Continuing Education
37. B.Ed. Early Childhood Education
38. B.Ed. Primary Education
39. B.A. (Ed) Arabic Education
40. B.A. (Ed) Christian Religious Studies
41. B.A. (Ed) Islamic Studies
42. B.A. (Ed) Creative Arts Education
43. B.A. (Ed) Music
44. B.A. (Ed) Fine and Applied Arts
45. B.A. (Ed)Theatre Arts
46. B.Sc. (Ed) Agricultural Science Education
47. B.Sc. (Ed) Home Economics Education
48. B.Sc. (Ed) Business Education
49. B.Sc. (Ed) Entrepreneurship Education
50. B.Sc. Accounting
I am to add that the approval does not cover the part-time mode of delivery of the programmes.
The programmes shall bear only the approved title and nomenclature and any change will require the approval of the Commission. The University is enjoined to provide adequate human and material resources for the development and growth of the approved programmes.
Please, accept the assurances of the Ag. Executive Secretary’s highest regards.”
UYO CITY POLYTECHNIC NOTICE TO STUDENTS
1. Mid-semester examination: There shall be a week-long mid-semester examination across all the Departments in the school.
- Date: Monday, 11th December – Friday, 15th December, 2023
- The exercise is mandatory for all the students.
- You are required to pay your school fees to qualify for the examination.
Any students that fail to write the mid-semester examination will pay #1000(one thousand naira) per course before the examination is re- administered to them.
2.Lecture Note: To boost your academic performance in the classroom, the management has re-introduced lecture notes to the students at the affordable price of #1500 per copy. Although this is not compulsory and not a way of exploiting or victimizing students, you are expected to comply with your lecturer.
3. Orientation: There shall be orientation exercise for all new students (ND 1 and HND 1) on Friday, 8th December, 2023. Don’t fail to participate.
4. Departmental Dues: To facilitate the smooth running of administrative duties in the various departments, every student is expected to pay a token of #1000(one thousand naira only) per semester to the department.
5. For the time being, every financial transaction should be done directly with the Bursar through the admission officer, Mrs. Gloria eken ASU QUO
Uyo City Polytechnic is still moving forward and will wax stronger than ever. Avoid every distraction and move on, as you all shall graduate from this place in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
News6 months ago
Full Text of President Bola Tinubu’s Inauguration Speech on May 29, 2023
Headlines11 months ago
Pakistan Govt Jobs Today – Punjab Information Technology Board PITB Jobs 2022
Headlines4 months ago
Full Text Of President Bola Tinubu’s Address To Nigerians On Socio-economic Challenges
Headlines2 months ago
FULL TEXT: Tinubu Addresses 78th UN General Assembly
Education1 year ago
FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC OKO RELEASES COMPUTER BASED TEST (CBT) EXAMINATION TIMETABLE FOR THE 2021/2022 ACADEMIC SESSION
Headlines6 months ago
Nigerians Berate Tinubu’s Subsidy Removal, Says Dangote Won’t Subsidise Petrol For Nigeria
CELEBRITY NEWS5 months ago
Hilda Baci: 6 Benefits the Nigerian Chef May Enjoy as Guinness World Record Holder
Headlines6 months ago
Apapa labels Peter Obi a liar after court scuffle with LP supporters